Mustard Bloom: Fields of Yellow

August 13, 2016

Fields of mustard flowers all blooming together is a sight to behold. I was lucky enough to catch this sight completely unplanned on my way down to Shark Fin Cove (there will be another post for this). I was cruising down Highway One near Half Moon Bay on a beautiful sunny February morning, when fields of yellow on both sides of the highway caught my eye. There it was, mustard bloom! Yellow flowers covered the fields all the way to the edge of the Californian coast, where it contrasted with the deep blue colors of the Pacific ocean and the sky.

Here's a rough location of where I pulled over:



And so, I began snapping away gleefully.

Mustard Bloom
Fields of yellow stretching out to the sea.

Mustard Bloom
On the other side of the road, the flowers were blooming on the slopes of the hill.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), the bloom was on private farmland. I couldn't really get the close up shot of the field I wanted. I had to make do with shots outside the fence.

Mustard Bloom
Mustards... Mustards everywhere.

Mustard bloom near Half Moon Bay
The weather was perfect for landscape photography.

Mustard bloom near Half Moon Bay
Blue skies, streaks of clouds, hills covered in flowers.

Mustard Bloom
Trying out different perspectives.

Mustard bloom under sunny skies
One last shot of the beautiful view looking out to the Pacific.

Mustard Bloom
View of the pullout.


On my way back from Shark Fin Cove, I stopped by Pigeon Point Lighthouse for a break. There were some wild mustard blooms there as well.

Mustard Bloom
Mustard bloom near Pigeon Point Lighthouse.

IMG_6275
More mustard.


Mustard Bloom
Closeup of the mustard bloom.

Mustard Bloom
One last close-up before heading home.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments