Shark Fin Cove aka Shark Tooth Beach

September 18, 2016

One day, as I was scrolling through my Facebook feed as usual, I noticed a picture of a beach taken by a friend of mine from the East Coast who was visiting California at that time. The beach had a huge rock shaped like a shark fin, standing out boldly in the cove. I have been to many beaches along the Pacific coast in the Bay Area, but I have not seen that one before. Curious, I asked my friend about it. The name of the beach? Shark Tooth Beach. After some Googling, the beach also went by the name Shark Fin Cove. Since even folks from the East Coast knew about this beach, I decided to check it out.



I took the coastal route down to Davenport via Highway 1. Along the way, I passed by fields of mustard bloom which I blogged about in my previous post. I usually only drive as far south along Highway 1 as Pigeon Point Lighthouse. Shark Fin Cove was way past that. Maybe that was the reason I have not seen this beach before.

I parked my car at the dirt pull out and made my way down to the cove. From the entrance, I could already clearly see how the beach got its name.


Shark Fin Cove
Dirt path leading down to the beach.
The weather was perfect for beach photography: clear skies with streaks of cirrus clouds. The wind was not too strong, so I did not have to deal with annoying blowing sand or dust. I went around exploring the beach and snapping away with my SLR.

Shark Fin Cove
Beautiful day for beach photography.

Shark Fin Cove
The wind was alright. Not much dust or sand getting kicked up.


Shark Fin Cove
Staring down at the shark fin rock, framed by the surrounding cliffs.

Apart from the iconic shark fin rock, there was also a sea tunnel at the beach, which made for a very interesting photograph subject.
Shark Fin Cove
The sea tunnel makes for a very interesting photograph subject.

IMG_6222
View coming out from the tunnel.

Stream at the beach
Small stream emerging from the rocks.

Streaming out to sea
Stream leading out to the ocean.

After I was satisfied with the beach, I went back up to the entrance and went over to both sides of the cliffs flanking the cove. From the top of the cliff, you can get an outstanding view of the cove and the Shark Fin Rock. Looking north, the coastal cliffs come into view, a typical feature in Northern California. I spent a while there taking pictures, watching the birds fly around the rock, with the thunderous waves crashing below it.


Shark Fin Cove
View of Shark Fin Cove from the top of the cliff

Shark Fin Cove
View of the sea tunnel from the cliff.

Shark Fin Cove
Waves bearing down on Shark Fin Cove.

Shark Fin Cove coastal cliffs
Your typical Northern Californian coast.



Railway tracks at Shark Fin Cove
(Abandoned?) railway tracks at Shark Fin Cove

Greenery at Shark Fin Cove
Beautiful green grass at Shark Fin Cove.

More info on Shark Fin Cove:
http://santacruzlife.com/shark-fin-cove/

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments